Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Tribute to Craig Callen of Michigan State University

John Jackson, Craig Callen & Michael Risinger, New Haven, 2008

Sometimes there is more sadness in one day than one can bear. I just learned that Craig Callen of Michigan State University Law School has died, apparently from complications of treatment for Parkinson's Disease.

I first met Craig in 1986 at the Boston University symposium on probability (in the form of Bayesianism) and the law of evidence. I already knew about his erudition, but I learned then of his passion for scholarship and theory.

Craig was a kind and generous soul as well as a first-rate scholar. I leaned on him often for both personal and professional advice.
His generosity lasted to the very end: despite his illness, he had agreed to take part in a June 2011 workshop I had helped to organize.
This has been a black day.

4 comments:

realist said...

I took Civil Procedure and Evidence from Professor Callen. I was older than everyone in the classroom and the same age as Professor Callen at the time. He held me to the same standard as my young counterparts. I admired his mind and his passion for the law. Future students will now miss the chance to learn under his guidance. This is a sad, sad day.

Unknown said...

http://www.law.msu.edu/callen/index.html

John Di Giacomo said...

Craig Callen was a great professor and a great man. He truly cared about his students and pushed us to our limits. I think about him weekly when practicing in federal courts, and I find myself often asking, "What would Callen do?" He will be greatly missed.

John Di Giacomo said...

Craig Callen was a great professor and a great man. He truly cared about his students and pushed us to our limits. I think about him weekly when practicing in federal courts, and I find myself often asking, "What would Callen do?" He will be greatly missed.