Saturday, July 07, 2007

Botvinnik to Go?

I recently bought a book that I greatly enjoyed when I was a callow youth: M.M. Botvinnik, One Hundred Selected [Chess] Games (trans. Stephen Garry, Dover ed. 1960).
  • This English translation was originally published in 1951 by MacGibbon & Kee.
    Clarification 1: Well, I guess I didn't buy the same book, exactly. How should I put it? Should I have said, "I bought another copy of Botvinnik's book." But this is all so tedious. I will let the IP people worry about such things.

    Clarification 2: I am no longer a callow youth. Now I am instead a callow adult.

  • Several months ago I vowed finally to learn the game of Go. (The board and pieces, elegant though they are, lie largely unmoved and unused on my dining room table.) Getting the Botvinnik book more recently -- just a few days ago -- moved me to wonder if he would have been a masterful Go player. Botvinnik was probably the greatest positional player that the game of chess has ever seen -- or, in any event, Botvinnik's mastery of pawn structures was astonishing: he built elaborate pawn forts and then moved them, move by move.

    No comments: