Thursday, October 25, 2007

Expert Testimony about Credibility, and the State of Legal Scholarship

I yield to no man or woman in my passion for "theory" and philosophical inquiry. Yet, I worry about the condition of legal scholarship in the U.S.

Question: What prompted the most recent wave of my unease?

Answer: I was frantically preparing for class and I discovered the interesting Texas case Schutz v. Texas, 957 S.W.2d 952 (Tex.Crim.App. 1997).

As I wrote in my class notes, the opinion of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in this case -- a case involving charges of aggravated sexual assault against a young child -- has "an elaborate but useful discussion ... of whether various types of expert evidence do or do not amount to prohibited opinion about the truthfulness of witnesses such as children. Cases in various states are surveyed. Court thinks that the prohibition in Rule 608(b) applies, in principle, to expert testimony about credibility or factors that affect the credibility or truthfulness of a witness. The issue is what forms of expert testimony amount to opinion about truthfulness vel non." I also discovered that the court had assembled, plainly after much labor, a comprehensive table (in an appendix) summarizing what forms of expert testimony affecting credibility and truthfulness are and are not admissible. I further found a simple but incisive concurring opinion and I also found a dissenting opinion that raised some excellent questions about the court's approach.

Well now -- I thought to myself -- this case is quite a find. The problem of sexual abuse of children is important. Texas is a big and populous state. The credibility of witnesses is almost always important in child abuse prosecutions. Experts or supposed experts are playing an increasingly important role in such criminal trials. And the question of the extent to which experts can give evidence that speaks to the believability, credibility, and truthfulness of witnesses who report being sexually abused is important. With these thoughts in mind, I did a LEXIS search for law journal articles about the Texas court's important and thoroughly-researched opinion in Schutz about this last question.

Question: What do you think I found?

Answer: Almost nothing.

I found only three brief references to Schutz in three law journal articles. Keep in mind that the Tex. Ct. Crim. App. decided Schutz and issued its opinion ten (10) years ago.

Something is wrong, isn't it?

N.B. Practicing lawyers do not think litigation and trials are unimportant. Judging by the growth of litigation departments in law firms during the last several decades, practicing lawyers (not to speak of judges) think litigation is perhaps more important than it ever was.

So what explains the paucity of academic commentary on cases such as Schutz? More important, what is the justification for this barren academic garden? (Note, the justification -- if any -- is not the importance of "theory." Good theorizing by legal academics can have very important "practical" implications. [Some people even believe that any theory worth its salt must have practical, or real-world, implications. I don't go that far. Still, the academic world should not be indifferent to "law in action.")

I shoot form the hip in this post. The reader will forgive me, I trust. I will return to this topic later.

5 comments:

TJW said...

I'm an interested observer (law graduate not working as a lawyer) and recently tried to get a hold of some US cases but found it very difficult. Is there a US equivalent of www.austlii.edu.au or something similar for people like me? I'm completely lost trying to find cases and it seems that you need a paid membership to get anything useful.

Thanks

Tysen Woodlock

Unknown said...

Tysen Woodlock has caught me largely flat-footed. But not entirely. There are some ways to get recent cases gratis. First, a surprising amount of legal material is available on the internet. So try GOOGLE or another search engine. (I used "Schutz" "Texas" and "Court of Crimninal Appeals" and I was led to some promising links.) Second, many jurisdictions maintain web sites with recent judicial opinions (and sometimes old ones too). For example, Texas has http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/, and on that page you will find a link "cases." (However, my cursory search there did not yield this opinion.) Third, I recall that in some states (in California, in any event) one commercial outfit has a free database of that state's legal material. Loislaw? I don't remember. Fourth, public libraries generally have access to LEXIS and WESTLAW at no charge to the user. That's the way it used to be, in any event. But this probably applies only in the U.S.? (I don't know if 'tis so.)

Unknown said...

And try this: FindLaw http://login.findlaw.com/scripts/case_login?dest=http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl. I don't know if FindLaw will begin to charge you at some point or if the service is really limited to "legal professionals." But try it, and report back here (please).

Unknown said...

There is a brief discussion of Schutz at Science Evidence

TJW said...

Your responses have been helpful. It appears that only decisions from 1998 onwards are readily available in electronic form for the Court of Criminal Appeals in that particular jurisdiction. But the 'Science Evidence' article was a nice consolation prize nonetheless.

Thanks

p.s. the FindLaw site does allow free searches but as mentioned above no pre-1998 Texas Court of Criminal Appeal decisions were displayed.